Want to snag a man? Order meat!

Are you a vegetarian? Maybe you just don’t like the taste of red meat? Well careful ladies, cause you might not be able to snag a man!
The NYTimes today reports that eating red meat (particularly steak) and ordering it on a first date is a surefire way to hook the man of your dreams. The article starts with the story of Martha and her Match.com profile, where she mentioned red meat twice in her advertisement. Fast forward to a year later, and she’s engaged to Mr. Right, after numerous red meat centered dates. Martha used to be a meat-hating vegetarian, but changed her ways when she realized

That ordering steak on a first date had the potential to sate appetites not only of the stomach but of the heart. Red meat sent a message that she was “unpretentious and down to earth and unneurotic,� she said, “that I’m not obsessed with my weight even though I’m thin, and I don’t have any food issues.� She added, “In terms of the burgers, it said I’m a cheap date, low maintenance.�

We’ve heard this line before haven’t we? What you decide to order on the first date is of the utmost importance. If you order too much, he might think you’re a pig…if you order only a salad, he might think you’re a waif with body image issues. So what’s the solution? Meat of course!

Ordering meat, on the other hand, is a declarative statement, something along the lines of “I am woman, hear me chew.�

Someone please tell me that the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association is behind this. Are we seriously still in a time when this statement can pass muster?

Of course, there are always those rare women who order what they want and to heck with what a man might think.

Sad.

1. ameyray
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Ugh, seriously. I do not understand people who think you should act like someone else to get the guy (or girl). Who on earth wants to be with someone who doesn’t want you for you? That kind of thinking is the foundation of unhappy relationships all over the place.

2. oenophile
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

SingOut,
    Well, those men all suffered from the same problem: women who are beautiful and don’t know it do not believe that they satisfy the “beautiful” requirement, while those who believe that they satisfy said requirement fail on the “not knowing it” one.
    End result: those dorks weed themselves out of the gene pool.

3. ponies and rainbows
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Oh, the assumptions! No men are vegetarian or vegan, and all women are straight and want to “snag a man.” I’ll have to bring this up tomorrow night at my awesome vegan guy friend’s going away party, which will be attended by more vegan and vegetarian men than women. The guys will be SO pleased to know that they’re supposed to be turned on by something they consider morally abhorrent.
    And I also love how this article suggests that women are supposed to put aside our morals and beliefs to get a man. Because a relationship with a guy who demands that his girlfriend completely bury her personality and interests for him is so going to work in the long term. *roll eyes*

4. cherylp
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Hey oenophile, you just gave me a heads-up – I used to eat meat and steaks (on first dates and otherwise) because I really liked it. Then I became a veg for ethical reasons – and I’ve been a way better runner ever since then… never made the connection until you just said you can achieve more athletically when not eating meat. Who knew?

5. BeccaTheCyborg
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 12:28 am | Permalink

When I met my boyfriend, he was a vegetarian, and I wasn’t. (I’ve since become one as well.) We both love food. Inordinately.
    Such utter heterosexist, uber-mainstream crap from the NYT.
    And to whoever pointed out that the veggie options on menus are usually the “diet” ones, so true. And annoying.

6. Cola
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 2:12 am | Permalink

You know how I hook men? By being unpretentious and eating whatever the fuck I want and paying for it, too.

7. jessilikewhoa
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 3:10 am | Permalink

so wait, not only is my vegetarian lifestyle better for me and the planet, but, it also will keep away dumb fucking guys?
    fuck yes.

8. meegs
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Wow! Another reason to feel guilty or anxious about food. As if women weren’t already being influenced regarding what they eat and what they don’t eat. We’re already pressured to eat for our peers (not wanting to seem like we eat too much in front of other women, counting calories, reinforcing the food taboo by looking down on women who eat heartily, etc.) and now we apparently we’re supposed to eat for men. Hmph.
    What does Martha know anyway.

9. SarahMC
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Fuck yes!

10. biwah
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

That’s totally right. It’s that quality that the NYT article just tries to distill into a superficial rule. At one time carnivorous women might have seemed threatening. Now, apparently, the scales have tipped and its the vegetarian woman who might seem all too militant and ideological. The salad eater tries to hard.
    Per NYT, the goal is to show some hedonism to assuage any male fears about ideology or beliefs, to show some abandon to set aside any weirdness about “trying too hard.” To the article’s credit, it makes some references to the fact that it’s all about creating a male-friendly illusion (e.g. the Kate Moss” line).
    And it is, in fact, about doing the Thing (du jour) that will create the Illusion (perennial), like SingOut describes, to accomodate the stories that men are telling themselves.

11. lecolibri
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

If watching women eat meat is what a guy’s into, he probably deserves all the neurotic body-obsessed women who are just chowing down on the steak to impress him. Let the freaks have eachother! I, in the meantime, will continue impressing men at dinner by a. paying for myself, b. being able to carry on a conversation between bites, and c. being the finickiest vegetarian I can so the guy knows I will be just as controlling and demanding in the sack.

12. Maggie
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I think the worst thing about this kind of article is that it assumes and perpetuates the myth that all guys are shallow idiots who are only interested in what they can tell their friends about the women they date, rather than what she’s actually like.
    I eat my steak rare, shoot vodka without a chaser, and play videogames. Sometimes I eat salads, don’t feel like drinking, and cross stitch. If a guy likes those qualities in me, great. If not, screw him. I can just as easily spend my Friday nights playing WoW.

13. Posted August 10, 2007 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Erm, not everyone who eats meat is a.) not a feminist or b.) fat. Yeesh. Some of these comments are annoying me as much as the article itself.

14. SpaceCakeFeminist
    Posted August 12, 2007 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Oh man, people think too much about everything, obviously.
    On my first date with my boyfriend we went to a sushi place, we ordered all you can eat, and I ate piece-for-piece as much as he did – and he loved me for it.
    He also thought it was great the way I almost threw up on him when I tried sea urchin for the first time. To this day he wishes I had thrown up on him.
    I guess I’m just not cut out for the match.com kind of men.
    I can understand vegetarians (or more so, vegans) not wanting to date meat-eaters, but it really surprises me that it should work vice versa.
    But, in any case, the point should be that you shouldn’t have to act, change, or pretend in order to be with someone. If you want to eat meat or not, do it, and if they don’t accept it then they’re probably not the person for you?

15. amyj77
    Posted July 1, 2009 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Great article and comments thread. I just wanted to add my two cents and mention a great site for vegetarian singles, EcoDater.com. I’ve been having great luck here and it seems to an honest community of like-minded people. Check it out sometime.
    Amy