Andy Samberg: “Totally sincere” feminist

Commenters had already set us straight on Andy Samberg’s NOW t-shirt, but it’s nice to hear it from Samberg himself in this Nerve interview:

You wore a National Organization of Women shirt to the Spike TV Awards —
I did! Thank you for noticing! I thought it would be funny, because obviously Spike TV is very in the opposite direction. You know, we were promoting the movie, and it was a good time with a lot of fun people we liked. We went and had fun, but you know, I’m from Berkeley, California, I can’t go into that thing wholeheartedly. I had to put a little wink in somewhere to let everyone know back home that I hadn’t gone all the way.

I was reading a feminism blog that was trying to decide whether you were sincere or ironic.
[laughs] Totally sincere.

Niiiice.

1. Posted August 9, 2007 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Good for him!

2. Posted August 9, 2007 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad he recognizes that Spike is about as far from NOW as you can get.
    If only they’d stop holding my Star Trek reruns hostage so I wouldn’t have to put up with crappy commercials during my favorite shows….

3. RunAroundMolly
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

This is exciting. I love him.

4. Raevyn
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Hearing this is such a relief. I’ve become too used to feminism being considered a joke in mainstream media.
    I was actually bracing for him to laugh it off and admit to being ironic, but his honesty and open feminism just made today a MUCH better day for me.

5. Posted August 9, 2007 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Aww, he’s cute. And Hot Rod looks funny in a ridiculous, Wet Hot American Summer, over-the-top kind of way.

6. Raevyn
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

7. Roni
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

whew! I’m so tired of feminism being the butt of jokes.

8. Posted August 9, 2007 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Oh for God’s sake, people. It’s ANDY “rapier wit” SAMBERG. Have some faith fer cryn’ out loud!
    I suspect that someone who exhibits as much humour & warmpth as Mr. Seberg does in his skits would only continue to to so in his off hours. I’m quite confident that he’s getting precisely the punchline that he sought when wearing a NOW T-Shirt at the SPIKE TV event: that the joke would blow completely over the heads of the crowd in attendance & send up a friendly flag hig & clear to the audience that matters to him. If you ever have any doubts, just say “Laser Cats” to yourself as many times as you have to until it goes away.

9. Posted August 9, 2007 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I don’t think he’s funny, but at least he’s a feminist!

10. Posted August 9, 2007 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Smartpatrol, LaserCats is one of the funniest things I’ve seen this side of Holy Grail. Either that or Awesometown. Ohhh man.
    I am sooooooooo seeing Hot Rod. I am totally crushing on Andy Samberg right now.

11. Posted August 9, 2007 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Irony has been so overused and so pervasive in recent years that it took me a couple of readings before I convinced myself he was saying he was in fact a feminist. For a moment there I felt as though I were trying to choode between the two glasses of wine in “The Princess Bride”.
    But the true wine of feminism is rich and invigorating.

12. Rock Star
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Can he talk to Nelly Furtado, Hillary Duff, Gwen Stefani, and all the other celebrities who refuse to identify as feminists?

13. Rock Star
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Can he talk to Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado, and Hilary Duff?

14. Posted August 9, 2007 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

Almost makes me want to see his movie now.

15. UltraMagnus
    Posted August 9, 2007 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

That’s great. Good to hear a popular guy isn’t afraid to be labeled as feminist or feminist supporting.

16. La Fille Torpille
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 1:23 am | Permalink

I really want to do him.

17. Posted August 10, 2007 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Don’t worry, John, I spent the last three years building up an immunity to iocane powder. (sorry, it’s my favorite line from that movie.)
    This is great to hear. I do find the dick in a box thing a little off-putting, though.

18. Cola
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 1:40 am | Permalink

*squee!*

19. Caro
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 2:49 am | Permalink

Okay, that’s it. Andy Samberg and I need to get it on, like, right now. :)

20. MirandaJay
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 4:38 am | Permalink

Yeeeeesh.

21. nervous_aesthete
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 6:54 am | Permalink

“Some of the “I want to have sex with him” comments make me sad. This guy is saying he believes that women are more than just worthless objects and have value as people and the best we can do is say “I need to do him”?
    Yeeeeesh.
    Posted by: MirandaJay [TypeKey Profile Page] | August 10, 2007 04:38 AM”
    Seriously! I mean, do we have to give a cookie to every guy who acts like a decent human being?
    Saying that though, it is good to hear a man in the public eye say this.

22. Pup, MD
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 8:22 am | Permalink

“Some of the “I want to have sex with him” comments make me sad.
    Hmm. It makes you sad that a woman thinks a man is hot, and that she wants to act on that? That’s really weird.

23. nervous_aesthete
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 8:36 am | Permalink

I think Pup MD misses the point!

24. Pup, MD
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 8:50 am | Permalink

WTF sort of reply is that? I’m missing no point.
    It’s not like anyone above has said “OMFG, a man says he’s a feminist! We better lay him before he buys a Maxim!” Here’s the relevant comments I see:
    I really want to do him.
    Okay, that’s it. Andy Samberg and I need to get it on, like, right now.

Doesn’t sound like anybody’s giving him a cookie. Sounds like we have two commenters who are feeling frisky. Last I checked, woman have every right to feel frisky for whatever reason they want.
    Wow, I don’t know that I’ve ever used the word frisky before in my life. But it seemed sufficiently euphemistic here.

25. PrincessPajamas
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 8:51 am | Permalink

Okay, first “Dick in a Box” (which, come on, is awesomely cheesy), and now this? Andy Samberg may just be my new imaginary boyfriend.

26. TinkIsTrouble
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 9:45 am | Permalink

MirandaJay commented: Some of the “I want to have sex with him” comments make me sad. This guy is saying he believes that women are more than just worthless objects and have value as people and the best we can do is say “I need to do him”?
    Oh goodness me. Relax a little. Expressing a desire to have sex with a man, be it fantastical or real, does not make one a victim nor does it diminish ones credibility. Sure, it’s crass, but this is a blog. A fun one at that.
    I was reviewing another blog recently about CNBC’s Erin Burnett. Erin is very bright. She truly understands the financial markets. She is also a cute/adorable/beautiful woman with a great personality. A guy on the blog commented that she was “hot”. No sexual reference was made. Some of the other woman bloggers took him to task for his comment saying that he was degrading her and diminishing the importance her talent.
    So, if a man comments about a woman’s looks or makes a sexual innuendo, the he is belittling. On this blog, a member comments on how hot Adam is, or rather, implies that she would choose to have sex with him — and she is belittling herself?
    I am an intelligent woman. I am an attractive woman. I am successful. I am feminine. I like it when a man opens the door for me and shows chivalry. I enjoy my sexuality. When a man comments on my intelligence, my looks, I enjoy it. When he comments on my wit, I enjoy it. When I find a man attractive, I say so.
    None of these attributes and qualities make me a victim. They make me who I am.

27. nervous_aesthete
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Fancy him all you want. I just think, the guy said a half decent comment, big deal. I just do not think saying something that should be completely normal makes this guy particularly worthy of my respect.

28. Kali Ma
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Tink, point taken. But, how is “hot” not a sexual reference?

29. Pup, MD
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Should be normal? Absolutely agreed! But this site exists because it’s entirely NOT normal. It’s not even in the same zip code as normal in most of the world, and most of the United States. It’s certainly not “normal” for someone who has a large audience of 13-18 year old males. When a 13 year old hears that it’s okay for the motorcycle guy to be a feminist, that’s really cool for folks like us who want a gender-equal planet.

30. Caro
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Well, it seems like I need to defend myself for having a lighthearted celebrity-crush on a guy who I think is attractive and funny, who seems like a pretty smart, nice guy, *and* is a feminist. Gee, I’m sorry, I didn’t expect that feminist blog commenters would judge me on what kind of guys I choose to find attractive.
    In all seriousness, I don’t understand MirandaJay’s point. Perhaps you were implying that I should have made a more substantive or intelligent comment? Well then, guilty as charged – I sometimes say frivolous, silly things in blog comments. And sometimes they’re about finding men attractive! So sue me.

31. nervous_aesthete
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

well I’m certainly not judging anyone, I am simply saying that what this guy says has not bowled me over as much as it has some people. It’s like, er… thanks for not being an asshole! I must admit that I know nothing about who he is, perhaps as I am a Brit resident in Britain. Also note I did say, “it is good to hear a man in the public eye say this.”

32. Caro
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

To nervous_aesthete:
    I’ve had a bit of celeb-crush on Andy for a while now (since seeing “Lazy Sunday” and then watching his videos with The Lonely Island). Finding out that he’s comfortable with being pro-feminism just makes my crush all the stronger.
    I agree with you that his attitude should be “completely normal” among men my age, but it certainly is not. That’s why when I see those very rare guys who’ll associate themselves with feminism, I think, “Wow, I wish there were more guys like that!”

33. feministDi
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

fyi- in the August edition of Elle magazine, there was an interview with Andy in which he professed to “absolutely” being a feminist. the interviewer asked him whether he was after he made some comment about the prevalence of sexism in the media/hollywood (i can’t remember his exact words)…

34. Posted August 10, 2007 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

Wow, funny and smart and a feminist? I don’t want to get all shallow on your asses…but that’s hott.

35. peter
    Posted August 10, 2007 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

It’s interesting how quickly this discussion ran over the perfect-storm speed-bump of sexual attraction, sexism, and objectification.
    Indeed, many comments seem to reaffirm that there is always something (broadly speaking) “sexist� about abject desire – at least insofar as sexism is one of our labels for objectifying others, for treating others as the means to our sexual ends, for subjecting others unwillingly to our gaze and our fantasies, etc., etc.
    I doubt that any of us can avoid for long the lascivious objectification of others, whether we are turned on my their bodies, their brains, or their politics. (And I equally doubt whether we should ever accept that part of human nature too completely, too uncritically.) But desire and politics never did play nice together.
    Or, to bring this back to comedy, take the lyrics from Flight of the Conchords: “Oh my God. She’s so hot…. / I want to tell her how hot she is, but she’ll think I’m being sexist. / She’s so hot she’s making me sexist. / Bitch.�
    Sorry to include that last word, but it’s part of the joke, too, as much as the dick in “Dick in a Box.”

36. La Fille Torpille
    Posted August 11, 2007 at 2:32 am | Permalink

What can I say? Being treated like I have value as a human being turns me on. Also, he’s cute and understands irony. “Dick in the Box” was the funniest SNL sketch I’ve seen in so long, and the most feminist.
    Are you reading this, Andy Samberg? Seriously. We need to hook up. You provide the Simone de Beauvoir, and I’ll provide the lubricant.
    Let’s defy binary gender roles and become one.

37. Posted August 12, 2007 at 1:49 am | Permalink

Ok, I understand dick in a box more now. Not so bad after all.

38. Caro
    Posted August 12, 2007 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

“Let’s defy binary gender roles and become one.”
    BWAH. Best pick-up line ever. :)