The Onion brings the Friday funny

I love The Onion.

“I don’t know where Lydia gets off acting like the big cheese all the damn time,” said James Halterfeyer of his boss, whom he described as “bossy.” “She acts like what she says goes, even if I don’t agree with it entirely.”
Roughly 65 percent of Bernoldini employees echoed Halterfeyer’s sentiments, specifically mentioning her refusal to be addressed as “Lydia” and the fact that female employment had swelled to 35 percent of the company since Bernoldini took over from her father in 2002.

Amazing.

1. EG
    Posted April 27, 2007 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

You know, on a serious note, I realized a year or so ago that I have never heard a boy or a man described as “bossy.” It seems to be a word that’s reserved for little girls and for mothers/girlfriends/wives (I don’t see single women described as bossy very much, though I have seen it). Since then I’ve consciously tried to stop using it to describe girls and women, and I realized it’s dropped out of my vocabulary entirely. I guess the next step is to call male behavior bossy. Am I the only person to have noticed this?

2. Posted April 27, 2007 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Oh my god, EG. You’re right.
    I think I just had an epiphany.

3. EG
    Posted April 27, 2007 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Heh. Always glad to be of service!

4. Posted April 27, 2007 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I’M CALLED BOSSY ALL THE TIME.
    And I agree. I can definitely be “bossy” sometimes. — But now I’m really mad about the word!!!

5. Posted April 27, 2007 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Oh, irony. Who was it that said it’s the highest form of humor?

6. EG
    Posted April 27, 2007 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Well, exactly! Lots of people are bossy, but somehow it only gets labeled with that kind of negative, condescending term when it’s a woman or a girl, I guess because we’re overstepping what should be our boundaries. Whereas men are supposed to “take control” or have “leadership qualities.”
    It really shows up how uncomfortable our culture is with forthright women who have confidence in their own ideas and ways of doing things.

7. Posted April 27, 2007 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Oh, irony. Who was it that said it’s the highest form of humor?

8. BabyPop
    Posted April 27, 2007 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Wow. I’m called bossy all the time. Someone should send this clip to all the a-hole college newspaper “satirists” so they can see how it’s done!

9. ElleMariachi
    Posted April 27, 2007 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

“I guess the next step is to call male behavior bossy. Am I the only person to have noticed this?”
    One of the guys I work for is married to an awesome woman, and every so often I will get her phone calls and she reminds me to not let her husband get “all bossy” on me. She’s the only person I know who’s ever used the word bossy to describe a guy.
    “Asshole” just seems to be the universal insult for me, regardless of a guy’s qualities. Usually adjectives like “thoughtless”, “selfish”, “entitled”, or “douchebaggy” will serve as a preface to “asshole”, as the situation permits.

10. annajcook
    Posted April 27, 2007 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

When I was about 10, my grandfather started calling me the “big boss.” It was around the same time he called me “fatso.” Needless to say we did not get on well after that. Like, ever.
    What I noticed with him was that it’s a way of pretending to recognize power/authority when actually he’s completely undercutting it. The same dynamic is at play when he “defers” to my grandmother in a conversation, when it’s very clear from body language, etc., “whose boss” (him).

11. oenophile
    Posted April 27, 2007 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I love it: 65% of the employees dislike her, while 35% of the employees are now female.
    LOVE IT. :)

12. Posted April 28, 2007 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Ditto what Cara said.

13. Posted April 29, 2007 at 12:46 am | Permalink

oh my, I had never though about the word “bossy”… interesting. There are also these seminars for high ranking, powerful women to go to so that they can learn how to cry. I think the price tag is like 5k.
    Maybe we should reclaim “bossy”!!

14. Posted April 29, 2007 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Maybe we should reclaim “bossy”!!

15. Posted April 29, 2007 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Well, it’s a shoo in for a t-shirt slogan.
    I just can’t work out what should go on the back of the shirt.

16. monkeyhaterobot
    Posted April 29, 2007 at 1:51 am | Permalink

I heart The Onion.
    I totally agree, BabyPop. Those weak satire issues at college campuses across the nation want *so* badly to be The Onion, yet fall so far from ever coming close.
    I eagerly await the next attempt from my own college campus’ Finals Week “Joke Issue”. Hopefully they are smart enough to not make fun of rape.