The moment one of you has been waiting for…

Here’s the inaugural edition of Jen’s Hungover Feminist Weekly Report. I’m calling it that because I’m usually hungover, which makes me crabby, and prone to ranting about things. Check it out.

[Story]
If anyone has ideas or stories for me, send them over to jen@feministing.com
Oh, and in case you’re wondering about this week’s hangover, it wasn’t so bad. Two Advil, lots of water, and eggs for breakfast cleared it right up.

1. Jessica
    Posted April 13, 2007 at 10:01 am | Permalink

damn bitch, you’re a downer when you’re hungover. ;)
    seriously, great stuff. and i heart the logo.

2. moja
    Posted April 13, 2007 at 10:21 am | Permalink

I’ve been waiting for this moment all my life (or at least for the past three days).
    Thank god it was worth it! Makes me wanna scoop up baby-jen and sing her a showtune (or six).

3. jenn
    Posted April 13, 2007 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

This story is absurd! How is it even legal to jail a 6-year old? And on possible felony charges?! Don’t they have a school social worker or even space in the principle’s office to hold a meeting with the child, her mother, the teacher, and whoever else might be involved in addressing what has upset the child?! I guess that would require a little flexibility in a couple of people’s schedules, not to mention a view of elementary school as more than an institution of social conditioning and control. Good grief.
    Nice job, Jen! You come across great on video, very at ease.

4. Spider Jerusalem
    Posted April 13, 2007 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I called the city, Avon Park, to request an update as to her case status, but I doubt I’ll get one. I can’t seem to find anything online. Does anyone know anything or are we just being indignant?

5. jenn
    Posted April 13, 2007 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Oops, sorry, should be princiPAL. Cuz ya know the principal is your pal.
    And not sure what you mean, Spider Jerusalem. I hadn’t heard of this story until today and only from the article linked above, but it certainly does stir up some feelings of anger in me. Should it not?

6. Jen
    Posted April 13, 2007 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Spider, and Jenn,
    I tried searhcing around to get an update as well, and couldn’t find anything. I assume the DA will not choose to pursue felony charges against a kintergartener, but who knows.

7. caiis
    Posted April 13, 2007 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

This is really unbelievable!
    I think Jenn said it perfectly:

8. redwards
    Posted April 14, 2007 at 1:35 am | Permalink

um, the almost-exact same thing happened to a little African-American boy(he was 8) in my son’s school in 2005, and the lack of community outrage was nauseating…a lot of ” bad kid” and “bad parents”, but almost no “shitty teacher, assitant, principals, administrators, or officers” which we should have had more of…here’s a link about it (http://www.zerointelligence.net/archives/000575.php)…reading this is kinda upsetting, because, while the principal lost her job, and we have a new superintendent(who’s royally fucked the recent redistricting and wants to cut the CEO program completely), the assitant principal is a woman i’ve worked with on several occasions concerning my son and she’s always been really polite, sympathatic, and helpful…i’ve lost a great deal of repect for a woman who really seemed to want to help ALL her students …

9. jillas
    Posted April 14, 2007 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

There is only one comment of jenn’s with whih I disagree (unless I heard it incorrectly)… I believe that this little girl will very much remember the experience of being arrested and cuffed in front of her peers, and will probably be rather traumatized by it all.

10. jillas
    Posted April 14, 2007 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

11. jillas
    Posted April 14, 2007 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

12. jillas
    Posted April 14, 2007 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

sorry about all that :) Didn’t think my posts were making it up.

13. Posted April 16, 2007 at 3:34 am | Permalink

Listen, you are being cry babies!
    If a 6-year old girl does something that makes her get arrested, then she probably deserved it. Who are you to question the authority of police officers that put their lives on the line for your and my safety day by day?
    Getting arrested maybe even saved this girls life, because now she sees that it doesn’t pay to be criminal!
    Kind regards,
    Shelley Goodman

14. manda
    Posted April 16, 2007 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Shelley, were you being sarcastic? If not, you clearly have no understanding of early childhood development. You also apparently live under the very misguided belief that police officers should just be able to do whatever the hell they want and everyone else should just smile and nod.
    The school made a terrible decision by calling the police, the police made a terrible decision by arresting a six-year old. The mom should have been called and she, along with the principal, guidance counselor and the teacher, should have tried to get to the bottom of what made the girl so angry and decide on an appropriate punishment.