Lesbian (rich, white) spring break.

I is pickin’ on the Times lately. It’s yet another NYT piece about the lifestyles of the rich and famous, but this time, it’s the lesbian rich and famous. Dinah Shore Weekend is the oh-so-fabulous lesbian party that some claim is “‘getting us closer to civil rights.’” Huh?
Dinah is more-or-less a party that is attempting to emulate the parties often shown at the end of L-Word episodes, and is actually frequently attended by cast members. (The Dinah party was shown in the first season of the series and its attendance has skyrocketed since.) While the article does call the party out for what it seems to be, which is “Girls Gone Wild for Girls (and Marketing),” it used that to push the whole “hot lesbian sex” element enough to make me nauseous; for example, featured pictures of the party include two attractive women making out, as well as – I kid you not – a close up of two women’s chests. Now I realize why they covered this story!
Need I say more?

1. Vervain
    Posted April 3, 2007 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Soooooo many things wrong with this article. Oh, where to begin…
    Women Objectifying Other Women = Fabulous!
    Corporate Approval = Civil Rights!
    *bangs head on desk*

2. Posted April 3, 2007 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Yeah I find it a little hard to believe that Girls Gone Wild for Girls is any less offensive than the original…

3. Zvebab Ghobar
    Posted April 3, 2007 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Would you have approved of the picture more if it were two ugly women making out?

4. Posted April 3, 2007 at 11:25 am | Permalink

The original Girls gone wild had an obsession with the girls going wild for each other, after all…

5. JoanKelly
    Posted April 3, 2007 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Do people who say “would you have approved more if it were two ugly chicks in the picture?” really not understand the issue, or is it just some reflexive impulse to try and get on people’s nerves?

6. josie
    Posted April 3, 2007 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

if you think that’s bad check out the ad Syndey’s biggest gay club is now running for its lesbian night…
    who do they think they are appealing to? teenage boys?

7. AMT
    Posted April 4, 2007 at 1:23 am | Permalink

You know, I saw that same article and I couldn’t believe the close up of those women’s breasts…but I wasn’t at all offended by the attractive women making out. I’m a bisexual woman, and maybe I just don’t “understand the issue,” but I don’t know, I didn’t think it was that bad. I can see your point about how it appeals to the hetero-male lesbian fantasies, but I don’t know if it should be a cardinal sin to publish a photo of two attractive lesbians. Who says we all have to be butch?

8. josie
    Posted April 4, 2007 at 3:10 am | Permalink

sorry, the page I was linking to has since taken down the advertisement for Moist, the girls night at Arq.
    But the ad is basically a close up image of a women in a bikini, all oiled up. She’s thin, white and obviously has very large, fake breasts. It’s so off you’d almost think they were being ironic, but that just seems to be the kind of advertising most gay venues around here are going for.
    And, no, its not as if all representations of lesbians should be butch. But they should resist some of the worst, most unattainable and unhealthy body images we have to put up with in mainstream heterosexual culture.

9. josie
    Posted April 4, 2007 at 3:11 am | Permalink

10. josie
    Posted April 4, 2007 at 3:11 am | Permalink

11. roymacIII
    Posted April 4, 2007 at 7:22 am | Permalink

I didn’t take the criticism as being of the photo by itself, but as one aspect of an article that really seemed to be written to reinforce a lot of hetero-male fantasies. The article seemed to be focusing a lot on appealing to male fantasy, and the photographs were just another aspect of that, I think.

12. CrystalPM
    Posted August 28, 2009 at 4:37 am | Permalink

wow… very nice post!! i really like it
    Spa Treatments