Keroack’s “private practice” is his crisis-pregnancy center

Looks like “Dr.” Eric Keroack resigned because the Massachusetts Office of Medicaid is investigating his private medical practice.
MassHealth officials aren’t releasing the details on the investigation. The AP reports that his practice is based in Marblehead, MA. And indeed, that’s the address on his state registration: 14 Willow Rd., Marblehead, MA. But when I called the phone number listed with that address, I got what was clearly a home answering machine, not a doctor’s office. And a simple reverse-phone lookup shows it is indeed a residential address — not a medical practice.
So where is Keroack’s private practice that is under investigation, if not in Marblehead? The address listed for his practice by the hospital he’s affiliated with, North Shore Medical Center, is 103 Broadway, Revere, MA. This is the address of one of the outposts of his crisis-pregnancy center chain, A Woman’s Concern.
The AP report implied that, because Keroack’s practice is supposedly located in Marblehead, where there is no branch of A Woman’s Concern, that the Medicaid investigation into Keroack’s “private practice” is not an investigation into his crisis-pregnancy center. Seems to me that could be wrong, and it’s possible the investigation — and Keroack’s subsequent resignation — are related to his affiliation with the crisis-pregnancy center.
Related: Legal Momentum sent a pregnant woman into A Woman’s Concern and documented her experience.
Update: Planned Parenthood reports that Evelyn Kappeler, the current Acting Deputy Director for Population Affairs will be replacing Keroack.
(Cross-posted at TAPPED)

1. Posted March 30, 2007 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

So, does anyone know anything about the quality of Evelyn Kappeler? A quick web search didn’t turn up anything particularly useful.

2. scamps
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I hope they do a deep investigation. I’m a MassHealth member and living in the North Shore, so this could affect me almost directly.

3. Ann
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

My Nexis and Google searches turned up next to nothing, Zed.

4. miksizzle
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

This is so upsetting. I worked at an MD’s office that provided abortion services in the greater Boston area, and we saw many cases of women who had traumatizing experiences at A Woman’s Concern. I don’t think I saw anyone in the year I worked as a counselor there as shaken up as one young woman who had mistaken the despicable organization’s billboard offering “free ultrasounds, abortion counseling” etc., as being authentic. The things they told her– that she would have a greater chance of contracting breast cancer, being depressed, regretful– and especially the way they manipulated her, at such a vulnerable time, putting off appointments, in hopes that the farther along she was in the pregnancy the less likely she’d be to abort– it’s heartbreaking. She couldn’t believe that people who act like they’re there to help women can treat them with such callous disregard and disrespect. I feel for anyone who’s had to shoulder such an ordeal, and I pray that this terrible group’s doors will be shut once and for all.

5. miksizzle
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Actually, now that I think of it, I just remembered something else: When we discovered the extent to which A Woman’s Concern was manipulating it’s “patients”, a coworker of mine found a residential number in Marblehead (strange…) that was linked to some of these so called “Crisis Pregnancy Centers”. She pretended to be pregnant and inquired about their services, speaking with a woman who claimed to be some type of administrator at the “clinic”. The gist was pretty much the same as what we had heard from women who came to us after these awful lie-filled experiences. But the kicker was that the woman asked which other clinics she had called, and when my coworker claimed to have called our own, this bitch actually had the audacity to blurt out “Oh, they tell ALL kinds of lies there! And the doctor isn’t even board certified!” Well, needless to say, this mystery woman was a crackpot, and could only be working for the same evil forces as Keroack. I realize that this may be completely unsubstantiated, but I just had to add it because I HATE THEM!

6. christine
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Hm. I hope that we’ll get some actual information about this replacement soon.
    I also have a tangential question regarding crisis pregnancy centers: does anyone know if there has been any protesting/leafletting/other grassroots activism coming from the pro-choice side around these places, analogous to anti-choice “sidewalk counseling”? Hell, we’d already have a one-up on them given that the pro-choice version of sidewalk counseling would include the dissemination of actual facts…

7. BabyPop
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

miksizzle – unrelated but i just want to thank you for this insight and thank you for doing all you do to support a woman’s right to choose. i have to say, i’ve thought of being a woman’s advocate (i.e., one of the people that provide safety to women and men entering clinics) but admit i am too scared. it’s shameful, but it’s the truth.
    christine – i have wondered this myself. i wonder if abortion protesters have to have special permits to hang out on the sidewalk all morning and harass people, or if they can do it b/c of free speech and it being on public property. if the former, then it would be great to get some people togehter and get permitted, if the later, well, all the better…a taste of their own medicine. a kinder, gentler, more truthful medicine.

8. FuriousFemale
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Hey there’s nothing shameful about it Babypop. I volunteered as an escort at PP when I was in graduate school and it can be pretty damn scary. I lived down the block from it and often saw protesters there early in the morning on my way to classes. I eventually decided to volunteer and I can’t blame you for being scared because their tactics are unsettling.
    There was a really cool older couple that had been volunteering for years and had done all sorts of work for PP and they told me a few doozies about their experiences. The protesters know them well too because they’ve been there so long. I would probably still be volunteering there if I had stayed in the city. Some of the things I saw and heard still bug me to this very day (I last escorted in August 2006)

9. FuriousFemale
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

10. FuriousFemale
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

11. FuriousFemale
    Posted March 30, 2007 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

12. Posted March 31, 2007 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Dumbasses In The News…

Dumbasses In The News…

13. SassyGirl
    Posted March 31, 2007 at 8:23 am | Permalink

“wonder if abortion protesters have to have special permits to hang out on the sidewalk all morning and harass people, or if they can do it b/c of free speech and it being on public property.”
    I know that when I was invovlved in an animal rights group, we were allowed to protest whenever we wanted without a permit, BUT, we had to stay off of private property (we had to stay on sidewalks) and we had to keep on moving. If you stand still, it is loitering, that is why you always see protesters walking back and forth. Now, I am in Michigan, so it could be different in other states.

14. SassyGirl
    Posted March 31, 2007 at 8:26 am | Permalink

15. alton
    Posted March 31, 2007 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the wonderful site. I had to de-lurk to respond to this:
    “Legal Momentum sent a pregnant woman into A Woman’s Concern and documented her experience.”
    About fifteen years ago, I stuck a plastic ziploc of urine from a pregnant woman under my shirt, slid a tape recorder in my pocket, and took the free pregnancy test that a “Crisis Pregnancy Center” was offering. At the time, I was helping a local NARAL group push to get the fake clinic listed as an “abortion alternative” in the phone book.
    It is so frustrating to see this pop up again and again, like a fundie herpes virus.