Molly Ivins, 1944-2007

Molly Ivins, the bad-ass columnist from Texas, died yesterday after a battle with breast cancer.
From her obit in the Dallas Morning News:

The 62-year-old writer was a rare commodity in Texas – a liberal – who wrote a twice-weekly column that appeared in at least 300 newspapers. Based in Austin, her commentary appeared in national magazines from Harper’s to Playboy, and her Texas drawl was heard parsing events on shows ranging from 60 Minutes to The NewsHour With Jim Lehrer.
She did not confine her humorous skewering to Republicans. She aimed it at wherever she perceived pomposity or wrongdoing.
Of the Gore-Bush presidential race in 2000 she said, “It’s like having Ted Baxter of the old ‘Mary Tyler Moore’ show running for president: Gore has Ted’s manner and Bush has his brain.”
Of ultraconservative U.S. Rep. Jim Collins, R-Dallas, in the early 1980s, she said: “If his IQ slips any lower, we’ll have to water him twice a day.”

Sigh, so awesome. In a world where smarts and humor aren’t always appreciated in women, Ivins was a hero to many. Me included.
If want to see Ivins in action–check out this video with her talking about Texas’ ban on sex toys.
Also, NPR has a segment on the columnist; listen here.

1. Posted February 1, 2007 at 9:44 am | Permalink

“So in my early days at the [Texas] Observer, when I would denounce some sorry sumbitch in the Lege as an egg-suckin’ child-molester who ran on all fours and had the brains of an adolescent pissant, I would courageously prepare myself to be horse-whipped at the least. All that ever happened was, I’d see the sumbitch in the capital the next day, he’d beam, spread his arms, and say ‘Baby! Yew put mah name in yore paper!’”

2. Ian in OH
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I’m not much for religion, but if I’m wrong and heaven does exist, I can just see Ivins and Ann Richards up there having good old time.
    “After all, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only backwards and in high heels.”
    – Ann Richards
    You will be missed, Molly.

3. Brig
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 10:19 am | Permalink

*sadface*
    I have so appreciated and will sorely miss Molly’s snarky skewering of the powers that be. She has been influential in my realization that it is indeed okay for a woman (read: me) to be witty and smart and not necessarily in agreement with the status quo.

4. Posted February 1, 2007 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Oh no :(
    Ivins was an incredibly talented woman. This is terrible.

5. Frau Direktor
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I’m so depressed. I don’t have my hell-raisin’, smart, funny, big mouth Southern gals in the public eye anymore. I second Ian in Ohio. If Heaven exists, she and Ann are tossing back a few Ambrosias and having a big ol’ laugh. First Coretta Scott King, then James Brown, and now Molly. I can’t take anymore. I’m gonna’ pour one out for ‘em this weekend. *sigh*

6. bear
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I believe there is a heaven, and I absolutely believe that Molly and Ann are raisin’ hell there right now. And SRV and Doug Sahm, among others are probably playing for them at the party.

7. bear
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

FYI
    Molly Ivins funeral set for
    2 p.m. Sunday
    First United Methodist Church,
    1201 Lavaca St.,
    Austin, TX
    followed by gathering at Scholz BierGarten.

8. bear
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I hope the link works. It is a cartoon Ben Sargent did in honor of Molly.