Ten random things I learned in 2006

I’ve learned a lot of things last year, but these are the gems I pumped out last night after a half a bottle of wine. Feel free to share your own in comments. Feministing is taking two Advil and will see you in the morning.
Prunes, apparently, are made from plums. Who knew?
I don’t miss television. I haven’t ordered cable since I moved into my own place, and I’m realizing that I don’t really need it.
My mother is remarkably underappreciated.
No matter what I do or accomplish, someone is always going to judge me by the way I look.
I really, really like living by myself—I’ve been shocked to realize how much I like solitude.
Fate is cruel and will do things like have Netflix send you The Notebook on the day your relationship ends.
I can’t tell the difference between mice and moles.
Even though I’ve been working on feminist issues for years, some things (actually a lot of things) can still make me cry in frustration.
Plants die in my presence. Seriously, they’re in my apartment a day and then they’re dead.
My sister is the best friend I could ever have.
My resolution? Well, that one is private.

Happy New Year!

1. Posted January 1, 2007 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Plants die in your presence? It’s good to know that I’m not the only one.
    I too have not yet gotten a TV since I moved into my current apt. (about 8 months ago) … I claim not to miss it, but whenver I am visiting my gf (who has TV but no cable) or my parents (who have DirectTV), I do manage to watch an awful lot of TV … maybe I’m in a state of denial about my TV addiction?

2. Posted January 1, 2007 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Happy New Year to you, Jessica. Thanks for doing what you do.

3. mimo92
    Posted January 1, 2007 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

My resolution is to not have one. That way, I’ll have fufilled at least one in my life. ^^

4. Posted January 1, 2007 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Happy New Year.

5. Posted January 1, 2007 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

Happy New Year!
    Yeah, people will judge you based on how you look. Shallow world we live in. :(

6. Posted January 1, 2007 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Not only will they judge you based on how you look, but also they’ll just the way you look by what they think a feminist must look like.
    Anyway, I’m with you on 1, 5, and 6. Your 2 and 4 I’ve known for a lot longer.
    If you care, my ten are here (sorry for stealing one of yours), and my resolutions are here.

7. Posted January 1, 2007 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

I love TV and cable, but I’m always struck by how much better TV is in the UK whenever I go back there.
    Happy New Year, may the 2007 Feministing begin.

8. bear
    Posted January 2, 2007 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Happy New Year!
    And thank you to the ladies (and everyone who posts) for this site. Even when stories make me depressed or that which I hold dearest is impugned, I still learn something. This is absolutely one of my two or three favorite sites.

9. Posted January 2, 2007 at 1:56 am | Permalink

The Department of Fruitology is looking for worthy candidates.

10. tristeen
    Posted January 2, 2007 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

I know you love living alone but damn I miss you! I feel you on the cruelty of Ryan Gosling. But I know if I had been there and we had TV we would have got sucked in by a marathon showing of MTV True Lifes, including all time faves “I’m Going to Fat Camp” and “I’m Addicted to Crystal Meth”. Thankfully this is not the case. Looks like we’re already off to a good start to 2007. Happy New Years!

11. Jessica
    Posted January 2, 2007 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Awwww, Tris! Is this your first time commenting? I love it.
    2007 will rock, despite our inability to get it together for that Sculputre Garden, plaid dress, XMas card.
    xoxo