For real?

A California woman is seeking $1.2 million in damages after she was spanked in front of coworkers–as part of a team-building exercise.
What the fuck?

1. Posted April 27, 2006 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Um, what kind of team are they trying to build?
    I like how the article says that it isn’t discriminatory because both men and women were “paddled.” I feel like I should have more to say, but I can’t even find the words.

2. noname
    Posted April 27, 2006 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

If both men and women were paddled, how was it discriminatory? I can see calling it innapropriate, but discriminatory?

3. Posted April 27, 2006 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I’m having a hard time finding words as well… here’s some that come to mind: frat house, boys club.

4. David Thompson
    Posted April 27, 2006 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

“Spanking?! What’d you do, kill him?”
    Somebody in the HR department’s getting reamed out for this one, I think.

5. Ismone
    Posted April 27, 2006 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Actually, since she is suing for assault and battery and infliction of emotional distress, it doesn’t matter for those two causes of action whether men were paddled or not.
    As far as sexual harassment goes, you can argue that it was discriminatory if the way that women were paddled was different (i.e. sexualized.) Also, I think that the 9th Circuit does not recognize the so-called “equal-opportunity harasser” defense, which is the defense that if you harass everyone, you’re in the clear. So the men may be able to recover as well.

6. nottrue
    Posted April 28, 2006 at 1:18 am | Permalink

“spankings were part of a voluntary programâ€?
    Voluntary, by my way of thinking, is “opt-in” … what sort of moron would voluntarily subject themselves to such a demeaning (not to mention sexually warped) exercise.
    Voluntary, must surely mean, everyone heckles whilst participants are “coerced” into submission for fear of ongoing reprisals.
    I always thought American psycho-babble was weird, but this shit goes even beyond … if that is possible.

7. Gregg
    Posted April 28, 2006 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Voluntary my ass! (couldn’t resist) So called team building exercises are never truly voluntary. You can expect reprisals from management if you opt out.

8. Ismone
    Posted April 29, 2006 at 11:43 am | Permalink

She got $1.7 million.
    I guess it remains to be seen if they will uphold the $1.2 million punitive award on appeal.

9. Bloomberg
    Posted August 21, 2009 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

‘Shoppertainment’ is the next phase of retailing, where consuming becomes a greater leisure ‘experience’:5 acrobats in the atrium, fireeaters in the parking lots, music bands in record shops, celebrity chefs rustling up gastronomic feasts in kitchen shops, TV decorating personalities doing their DIY, Comme de Garçon in New York wooing customers through art exhibitions or chill-out areas. Bluewater, one of Britain’s largest shopping complexes, even once suggested charging customers entrance fees to come to their ‘experience’. When that happens, the distinction between the theme park and shopping centre will have all but evaporated.