“A way to have all the goodies and not pay the price”

What is this, the third time already this week that all sexually active, nonmarried women have been called cheap whores? Check out this letter, from Missouri state Representative Cynthia Davis, who recently introduced legislation to remove a state requirement that sex ed classes teach contraception:

From: Cynthia Davis
Sent: Mon 3/20/2006 8:02 PM
To: (redacted)
Subject: RE: Contraceptive Article…
Dear (redacted),
I appreciate your dedication to your legislative duties while on Spring Break. Your letter seemed to indicate that if we create chemical and pharmaceutical ways to tamper with mother nature, then we will solve the problem. Even if you solve a physical problem you still have not solved the moral, emotional and spiritual problems that come with a promiscuous lifestyle.
When I was listening to the debate last week I wondered what kind of man would want to enjoy free sex and then expect her to provide for her own contraceptives? These are the kind of men who want free whores. Any man who would be so low life as that does not deserve to have any woman love him. Smart women will stay away from men who use them and abuse them.

Why is it that most of the e-mail letters I get on this topic is from men? I have concluded that the chemicals and drugs are their way to have all the goodies and not pay the price. When you encourage this behavior, you create more of it. In other words, if the state starts paying for contraceptives we will have more babies than if we just teach people to not expect free prostitution from poor people. Don’t you think having to pay child support for the next 18 years is a suitable disincentive?
I learned this from teaching my own children: Natural consequences is usually the best teacher. Bailing them out only encourages them to be irresponsible the next time. Some people think that we will the rate of teenage pregnancy if we put children in classes that teach them how to use birth control. (sic) This backfires for the same reason. More kids are prompted to experiment with sex if you teach them that this is expected behavior.
The irresponsible men love it when women think they are supposed to give away free sex without any consequences. However, you still have not solved the problem of the increase of sexually transmitted diseases that you are creating by encouraging free sex. Susan Phillips said it best when she said that sexual behavior needs to be between a husband and a wife, not between women and the state. The problem is not the babies, it is the lack of a family. Bottom line: publicly funded contraception will create additional moral squaller (sic) and works against the Republican principle of encouraging personal responsibility.
Thank you again for your interest in debating this topic. I am sure that this theme will be coming up again later in the session.
Sincerely,
Cynthia Davis

It doesn’t stop there. Davis backs a slew of other nasty bills. (A group of bad-ass Missouri women showed up to oppose Davis’ legislation on pro-choice lobby day.) If you’re thirsty for more idiotic comments from Davis, check out her statement on pharmacists who refuse to dispense “poison” (AKA emergency contraception).
Although I totally agree with Davis that contraception is a way to “have all the goodies without paying the price.” Then again, I am a cheap whore.
Via Nerve.

1. Jessica
    Posted March 29, 2006 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

What’s with all the references to “free sex?” Is the fact that us crazy sluts aren’t charging what makes it so immoral? I wonder if she has ever had sex. Cause the girls do enjoy the “goodies” too, ya know.

2. puckalish
    Posted March 29, 2006 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

wow… how articulate of her…
    i mean, really, what better way to punish men who want poor people to be their cheap whores than to provide no protection for women?
    honest, i can’t think of a more powerful consequence for a man than for some woman he hooked up with to get pregnant and raise the child on her own. yeah, that’s really gotta hurt the man.
    yeah. um. what the fuck? i’ve been way too sober lately and i need a hit of whatever ms davis is smoking.

3. puckalish
    Posted March 29, 2006 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

i’m sorry. i had to read that one again, too… i mean, wow. i’ve got some friends who’re receiving child support and my fiancee was raised by her mom while her dad did a pretty good job of avoiding paying (he’s an attorney, so he got real into not paying). kinda sounds like more of a losing situation for the woman, no?
    and what’s up with poor people being free prostitutes? when did she start talking about poor people? did i miss something? again, i’d really like a hit of that pipe, ms davis, ‘cos that ish must be good.

4. Posted March 29, 2006 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Wow! And they say feminists are men haters! Her logic is positively insane!

5. Posted March 29, 2006 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

grammar police reporting for duty!
    if in missouri “consequences is the best teacher” of how not to be a damn dirty whore like damn dirty poor women, what things “is” the best teacher of number agreement?
    such grammatical mistakes “is” understandable in conversation. but in writing? from a woman who’s supposed to be the best her state had to choose from? huh.

6. bmc90
    Posted March 29, 2006 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

I just sent her an e-mail, which was way nicer than she deserves. Here is the text:
    I am sure that you have heard from many others anxious to engage you on the issue of teaching contraception in schools and also government funding of contraception for poor people. As a lawmaker, you have many lives in your hands, so even though I am not your constituent, I’d like to weigh in. Allow me to share my family’s story. My mother nearly died from bleeding giving birth to me. The doctors told her not to have any more children, or she would risk death. She successfully used birth control until menopause, so this never became an issue. When my mother told her employer she was pregnant, my mother was fired from her job. Her employer flatly told her it was because of the pregnancy. She was a desk clerk in a hotel. These days, the reason for the firing would not be admitted out loud, but it still happens. My parents lost my mother’s income up to the time she delivered, so they were struggling financially. Is there a good policy reason why it would not be appropriate to have a government funded program to help people like my parents with family planning after my birth? Isn’t it better than dealing with the potential consequences of an unplanned pregnancy that could risk my mother’s life, or put my parents in the position of having to consider an abortion so I could grow up with a mother instead of losing her during another pregnancy? I assure you my parents would have been horrified with either of those choices. Birth control is a way of taking responsibility for one’s life circumstances, which is a core value that society should promote at every level. Funding family planning for low income persons is an excellent investment in the stability of our society and families. Naturally, education on family planning must go along with a program funding birth control devices. My mother married at 19, so if she was not taught about family planning in school, I’m not sure when she could have become fully informed about the subject if not when she was young. For some young people, this information may be the difference between a productive life with children that they can successfully handle, or one in which the government must intervene at taxpayer expense to deal with the consequences of unintended parenthood. Note that I don’t limit this comment to women, because being an absent or irresponsible father is also a devastating and painful potential consequence of ignorance. I hope you will reconsider your position on this issue for the sake of families and children in your state.

7. jane
    Posted March 29, 2006 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Free prostitution is an oxymoron. My mother told me she could never be a prostitute, because she likes sex too much. Me too!
    Who ever said politicians were the best we have to offer?

8. maughta
    Posted March 29, 2006 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

“Why is it that most of the e-mail letters I get on this topic is from men?”
    ‘Nother grammar maven here. What is it with this woman and “is”? Doesn’t know what the definition of “is” is, eh?

9. Jordan
    Posted May 4, 2006 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Here is a copy of the email that I sent to Cynthia Davis today upon reading her shocking letter concerning unmarried women who use birth control:
    Dear Rep. Davis,
    I recently read a letter htat you wrote back in March concerning the teaching of contraception in sec education courses in Missouri public schools. Although I am not a resident of the state of Missouri, your letter was of great interest to me becaue I am both a Licensed Practical Nurse and a middle school educator. The sections of your letter that concerned me the most were the parts in which you deemed unmarried women who have sex and use contraception as “cheap whores” and “free prostitutes” and claimed that “poor people” are mainly the ones who use contraception in order to give out “free sex.” These derrogatory comments by you were horibly offensive and riddled with ignorance. I was extremely offended and shocked that an elected government representative would make such degrading and false remarks about her own constituents. Many of these so-called “cheap whores” as you call them are the very ones who voted for you and gave you your job in office that you hold today. You ought to be ashamed of yourself!
    I am what you would call a “poor” person. I was raised in a very low-income, single-parent household. I worked hard and put myself through college, first becoming a nurse and then a teacher. And as asingle, adult woman emerging into the middle-class world, I have engaged in normal, healthy, monogamous sexual relationships while regularly using birth control and other contraceptives. No, I am not married and probably won’t marry until I am near my 30′s (I am 25 years old), but I still choose to engage in healthy and safe sexual relationships with those whom I chose. I am not a “free prostitute” who stands on the streetcorner “giving up the goodies” as you like to put it. I am a responsible, respected young woman, and my decisions to engage in sexual activity and use birth control do not lessen my character or value as a person. Is it anyone’s business that I or other women enage in sexual activity or use birth control? No. Is it any of your business as an elected government official that I or other women engage in sexual activity or use birth control? Certainly not, and this is exactly why you have no right to condemn others for their personal and private life decisions. Your stereotyped insults towards low-income, unmarried, sexually active women are completely false and do not in any way portray me or other women much like myself.
    Since you are so concerned over the content of sex education in your state’s public schools, I should point out that abstinence-only-until-marriage policies are all but impossible in this day and age. The average age of first marriage is approximately 27 years old for women and 29 years old for men, and those ages are even higher for adults who have gone through post-graduate and medical schools. Sex is one of the most basic and powerful drives in nature, and to expect humans to completely abstain from one of Mother Nature’s most powerful biological drives for the first 30 years of their lives (which also happens to be the peak time of sexual drives) is utterly futile and pointless. And spewing insults such as “whore” and “prostitute” at unmarried women who engage in sexual activity and use contraception is as ignorant as it is hateful and uncalled for. A woman of your stature and position of authority should have more class than to behave like that.
    I also read your piece on how pharmacists should not be forced to fill prescriptions for “poison”, a.k.a. the Emergency Contraception or the “Morning-After Pill” as normal, intelligent people call it. It seems to me that you are confused about the purpose of the Morning-After Pill because you claim that it kills a life. As a trained nurse who knows a thing or two about medicine, let me clear this confusion up for you: You are confusing the Morning-After Pill with the RU-486 medication. RU-486 is an abortion pill that ends a confirmed pregnancy by causing a miscarriage. The Morning-After Pill is NOT an abortion pill because it does not end a pregnancy, it only PREVENTS a pregnancy from occuring. The Morning-After Pill causes the uterine lining to shed so that a fertilized egg, if there is one, cannot implant into the uterine wall. This is not an abortion because a woman is not pregnant until the fertilized egg implants into the uterine wall. And by logic, an abortion cannot occur if there is no pregnancy. I realize that you and many other right wing Conservative Christians try to claim that a fertilized egg is a human being and equals a pregnancy, but unfortunately for you, the professional medical field defines pregnancy as the moment a fertlized egg implants into the uterine wall and does not recognize a mere floating fertilized egg as a human being or the equivalent to a pregnancy. And their assertion is practical, because a pregnancy test won’t even show a positive reading until implantation has occured. So to clear this misunderstanding up once and for all, the Emergency Contraception pill is exactly what it’s name suggests–it’s a contraceptive, not an abortificient.
    I would highly recommend that you do a little scientific research into these many types of chemical contraceptives and learn the truth about them before you write false information about them or wage a campaign against them. I also highly suggest that you take some refresher courses on proper English grammar and usage or at least take a few seconds to use the Spell Check before you send out your letters and other publications. As a teacher, I can honestly say that your subject-verb agreement skills are as bad as my 7th and 8th grade L.D. students! Someone in such a high public position as yourself should at least possess proper English writing skills, along with a little class and respect for other people. I hope that this letter will make you stop and think about the ignorance and impact of your derrogatory statements towards others and think about the way in which statements like these only serve to damage your public image and cast you in an unfavorable light in the public eye. I am also a Christian woman myself, and one of my favorite quotes from the Bible that Jesus himself specifically said was “Judge not, lest you be judged yourself”…..not to be confused with “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”
    Sincerely,
    Jordan Barnstable

10. Jordan
    Posted May 4, 2006 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Dear Rep. Davis,
    I recently read a letter htat you wrote back in March concerning the teaching of contraception in sex education courses in Missouri public schools. Although I am not a resident of the state of Missouri, your letter was of great interest to me becaue I am both a Licensed Practical Nurse and a middle school educator. The sections of your letter that concerned me the most were the parts in which you deemed unmarried women who have sex and use contraception as “cheap whores” and “free prostitutes” and claimed that “poor people” are mainly the ones who use contraception in order to give out “free sex.” These derrogatory comments by you were horribly offensive and riddled with ignorance. I was extremely offended and shocked that an elected government representative would make such degrading and false remarks about her own constituents. Many of these so-called “cheap whores” as you call them are the very ones who voted for you and gave you your job in office that you hold today. You ought to be ashamed of yourself!
    Sincerely,
    Jordan Barnstable

11. Posted June 2, 2006 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

fucking lesbians suck my fucking fat one you cunts

12. Posted June 2, 2006 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

when are you all goimg to get your all second class citizens and nothing more your two roles in life is to cook and fuck and thats it so just GET FUCKING USED TO IT BITCHES