Boy fights to wear skirt to school

I totally kicked it with the kind of boys that would have worn a skirt to high school. I remember like it was yesterday.
via Salon.

1. Posted January 30, 2006 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I’ve always found it to be hilarious how people will freak out at a guy who wears a skirt to school. I guess if you’re not rigid enough about enforcing gender roles during these formative years…they might go on and wear skirts in their adult lives? So what?

2. Nymphalidae
    Posted January 30, 2006 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

My high school boyfriend sometimes wore my dresses. I don’t remember anybody making a big deal out of it.

3. Posted January 30, 2006 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Has anyone else read The Obnoxious Jerks. Fun, cheesy teen novel from the 80′s about a group of High School friends. They do this at one point, at their school, and get the rule changed to allow shorts. I guess society has advanced since then.

4. Posted January 30, 2006 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Oops! There should have been a question mark after that first statement. Punctuation is my fickle friend.

5. racya
    Posted January 30, 2006 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

My Friend Harley was thrown out of highschool for whereing a skirt to class.

6. Posted January 30, 2006 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I assume the types of people who don’t want men/boys to wear skirts are the same types of people who didn’t want women/girls to wear pants back in the day. I’m glad to see a guy standing up for that right. I would love to see as many guys wearing skirts as women wearing pants!

7. SonicJMC
    Posted January 29, 2007 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

I’d wear a skirt more often if I just had some encouragement. I like my long skirt, but somewhere in my brain is fear of not fitting in, which is sad.
    SonicJMC@witchcast.com
    Send me some encouragement.

8. Cheerskirt
    Posted January 6, 2008 at 6:35 am | Permalink

I like wearing cheerleading outfits and cheerleading skirts because they feel so good and are very comfortable.

9. werechick
    Posted January 6, 2008 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I’m not a fan of skirts for myself, even though I am female and thus socially encouraged to be. But if men chose to wear them, it’s not in my nature to mock them for it. Rock on.

10. Bloomberg
    Posted August 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Consciousness of risk comes in myriad forms. Some have been with us for a long time, such as assessing the financial viability of projects. Others concerned with safety, health, epidemics or bullying are more recent and grabbing most headlines are safety concerns about personal injury in the public realm, such as tripping over a tree trunk, stepping off the road into an oncoming car or tearing your trousers on the edge of a park bench.
    Undoubtedly a perception exists that the public have a greater tendency to seek redress if they suffer an injustice or injury. People look for someone else to blame for their misfortune.
    The rise of claims management companies help; they advertise on TV, radio, the press, through direct marketing, street canvassing or tele-sales with slogans such as ‘No win, no fee’ or ‘Where there’s blame, there’s a claim’. One group in Britain alone generated 15,000 claims per month, selling them on to solicitors, some of whom have up to 10,000 personal injury claims running, with dedicated departments acting like production lines. An environment emerges where suing is seen as an entitlement as when a leading practice was asked, ‘Who can I sue when nobody is to blame?’