You dial like a girl.

Samsung is selling a new cell phone for women. It’s not only sparkly and pink– bonus features include offensive gender stereotypes!
The phone has a built-in shopping list, fat calculator and favorite fragrance list. Plus, says Samsung marketer Jenny Goodridge, “You can put in your birth date and it will tell you if you are intelligent, attractive or emotionally stable. You can’t be all three on any day… It’s pretty funny.” Hilarious!
The phone also has an ovulation calendar. There aren’t details on how it works, but this is the one feature that might actually be useful.
Samsung is looking to sell the phone to women ages 24 and younger. And though I’m in the target market, I can’t seem understand the “girly appeal.” Sigh. I’m probably not having an “intelligent” day.

1. Posted November 30, 2005 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

The only feature that I think might make a cell phone more attractive to women is a “constant vibrate” mode. Pink and glittery phones are a dime a dozen. What market research firm dropped the ball on this one?

2. Liberal Grrl
    Posted November 30, 2005 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Personally, I could do without the whole pink thing. But actually an ovulation calendar on my cell phone sounds great. I wouldn’t pay extra for it but as I sit here now all crampy and zitty I keep wondering when the heck did I have my last period and when is my next one due? And how better to keep track of it than a personal device I have on me at all times. But, I actually wouldn’t purchase this phone because it is SO freakin pink. Ew.

3. The Brunette
    Posted November 30, 2005 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Now, I have no problem with pink phones (My phone has pink faceplates, and I’m waiting for the day Verizon offers the magenta Razr, though that day may never come).
    The fat calculator is ridiculous, and that enter-your-birthdate thingy sounds like horoscopes-lite. I may like pink (for reasons both nostalgic and ironic), but I never cared for horoscopes, not since when I was 12, when YM told me I’d be dating two guys at once and I couldn’t even “snag” one!

4. Gueuze
    Posted November 30, 2005 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

The magenta Razr by Motorola is mighty sweet–but for $250 (the amount T-Mobile is offering for it) is way, way out of my price range. If money were no object, I would probably get it.
    The Samsung e530 fat/calories calculator is rather ridiculous, but for women who want to think about food all the time and enter everything that goes in their mouths into a cute, pink, teeny ball & chain they carry on their person at all times, more power to ‘em.
    I wish their marketing department was a little more on the ball, though, and realize that women are a hell of a lot more than shopping ‘n’ ovulating.

5. Posted December 1, 2005 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Back in my “24 years old and younger” days, this still would have been insulting! I really hope females nowadays aren’t falling for this nonsense.

6. Jami
    Posted December 1, 2005 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

the ovulation calendar and shopping list seem useful, gender issues with the shopping list aside. the fat calculator is plain offensive.
    the phone should also be thinner, for our mostly punier little hands. i can hold my current phone just fine, but it’s not comfortable — it feels always on the verge of popping out of my hand and busting into a million pieces on the sidewalk.
    products designed “for her” are always annoying. razors are the worst. the last “for her” razor i bought was like goddamn safety scissors — more plastic than blade. and why the hell do they make them curvy? do they think we just stand in the shower with our razors nestled lovingly against our hips? when i left my stupid lady razor in a hotel a while back, i bought a mach3. so much better.
    volvo, i think, designed cars “for her.” main feature? divot in seat back for ponytail. also more space (“for a purse”), not that men would want that.

7. Posted December 1, 2005 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I love it when a marketing “genius” puts out a stupid product like this. First of all getting a pink phone is easy. Second of all most cell phones today have a calendar function. Check your phone and you could probably record the dates of your periods and you doctor appts. and your book group meetings if you want. Thirdly, of the people I know who use a PDA to track their eating 100% are male. Ergo – Samsung has screwed up a golden opportunity to market a phone with specific applications that would be attractive to a larger audience and therefore have higher sales.
    Just one of the many prices to be paid for sex based chauvinism – HA!

8. Posted December 1, 2005 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Just one of the many prices to be paid for gender based chauvinism – HA!

9. Posted December 12, 2005 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Uggh. I finally figured out what a “fat calculator” is. Saddd.

10. Merideth Carleton
    Posted May 9, 2006 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Have you seen this before? It’s a number guessing game: http://www.amblesideprimary.com/ambleweb/mentalmaths/guessthenumber.html. I guessed 38417, and it got it right! Pretty neat.

11. Casinos Dude
    Posted December 27, 2009 at 6:37 am | Permalink

I know this is old, but I still have a phone like that lol!
    Blackjack Blog