The most pointless study ever

I just don’t get it. This is the tenth article I’ve seen on sex differences in cell phone use this month, and in my irritation I felt the urge to point out its meaninglessness.
“The first national study of mobile phone users has found 34 per cent of Australian women bought ringtones in the past year compared to 27 per cent of men.
As for games, 15 per cent of men had bought them in the last 12 months, compared to only 10 per cent of females.”

Astounding! Not only are the differences pretty insignificant, but who gives a fuck anyway? Jeez.

1. JesusJonesSuperstar
    Posted August 31, 2005 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

this study was part of a larger conspiracy to discourage female cell-phone gamers. In certain unnamed circles, gaming is seen as an inappropriate activity for women and girls, as it is competitive rather than ladylike and cooperative.
    It is also utilizing stereotypes with regards to ring tone use. Ring tones are seen as “girly” “sissy” — “real men don’t buy extra ring tones”.
    Once again, if females take the lead in the technological adaptation of a consumer product, men are not respecting it.
    It is unfortunate that these statistically invalid studies are being used to support sexism and gender bias with regards to technology use.

2. Posted August 31, 2005 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Since this post is the first one I’ve seen about these so called studies, I’m doing a post about the differences in the number of women I’ve seen posting about the differences of cell phone use between men and women.

3. stephen
    Posted September 1, 2005 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Fifty per cent more men than women post on blogs about differences in cell phone use between men and women.

4. Posted September 1, 2005 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Studies like this simply give companies info on how to spend their marketing budget and develop product. You find more clients where your current clients are. If most ring tones are sold to women, then the bulk of your ad dollars will first go to media that skew female. It’s no more (or less, I suppose) malicious in intent than sorting data by age or zip code.
    If you are a mainstream company and most of your revenue comes from men buying games, you probably want to saturate the men’s market first, then expand into the women’s market. That’s business. And BTW, no one is stopping anyone from starting a gaming company aimed at women, if you can make the numbers show that by being an early mover that you can make a fortune for your investors by tapping into a previously underserved market.
    Sometimes it’s not a gender war or a conspiracy “in certain unnamed circles.” (Great article by Elizabeth Debold this month’s issue of “What Is Enlightenment,” about how perpetuating the model of women as victims, in terminal and constant need of redress and special treatment, is not doing us any favors as we try to change our place in the world.)
    Someimes – sometimes – it’s not about sexism. It’s just about the stakeholders.

5. JesusJonesSuperstar
    Posted September 1, 2005 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Damn Jennifer,
    U really shot the shit out of my theory.
    Jeez I feel like an idiot now.

6. Posted September 1, 2005 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

also, where i live (bkny), most of the folks i see showing off their 45 different ring tones to their friends on the subway are boys… oh, well… maybe there’s an urban/suburban/rural differential…
    or, perhaps, the women who have the ringtones would rather not piss everyone else off on the subway/bus…

7. stormcloud
    Posted September 2, 2005 at 2:36 am | Permalink

I’m betting the money that is used to fund this and other pointless studies could probably be used in a much more meaningful and constructive way.

8. Posted May 13, 2006 at 4:20 am | Permalink

This is very interesting site…

9. Posted May 13, 2006 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I was looking for something else and ran across this site. I really like the layout and colors you chose. This gave me so much information indeed! http://hoodia06.wind.prohosting.com

10. Posted May 13, 2006 at 4:05 pm | Permalink