Florida blocks teen’s abortion

From the Associated Press:

The state’s social services agency was granted a court order to block an abortion for a pregnant 13-year-old girl living in a state shelter, prompting an emergency appeal Wednesday by the American Civil Liberties Union.
…The girl learned she was pregnant two weeks ago and planned to have an abortion Tuesday. Her caseworker arranged for transportation and help. But the state Department of Children & Families asked a Palm Beach County juvenile judge Tuesday morning to block the procedure.
The state agency argued the 13 1/2-week pregnant girl — described as L.G. in court documents — is too young and immature to make an informed medical decision, according to the ACLU appeal.

Of course, too young to make a decision but plenty old to have a kid. And yes, I know I brought the whole minors/abortion issue up yesterday, but I think it warrants repeating.
Because the laws that affect teen girls and their bodies tell volumes about how all women are viewed. Anti-choice legislators (and activists) see women as children, unable to make decisions on their own—at 13 or 30 years-old. We need to be protected from ourselves and our bad decisions. That’s why our pharmacists won’t give out birth control or emergency contraception, or our states act as parents when we’re a 13 year-old with no family who wants an abortion.

1. Posted April 28, 2005 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Does the State plan on raising this baby then? Since she is obviously too young to decide if abortion is right for her or not, then she is obviously too young to make decisions regarding raising a child.
    If she can make the decision to have sex, she can make the decision to have a child or not.

2. astrid
    Posted April 28, 2005 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Maybe I’m weird, but I’m wondering how she got pregnant. Of course, it’s really no one’s business, but you don’t really hear the details. Does she have a boyfriend, and if so, is it legal for her to give consent to him? Was is a one-night kind of thing? Or was it sexual abuse? I’ve heard that sexual abuse is fairly common when it comes to foster homes and orphaned children.

3. Butterkup
    Posted April 28, 2005 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

My blood runs cold.
    First, Florida’s DCF is so poorly run that they have lost (as in, can no longer locate) children while in custody. That a child in the state’s care would end up pregnant is, sadly not at all surprising to me. It is hard to imagine any case in which sex with this girl was not abusive or exploitive or just plain sad.
    Second, while Jeb Bush brags he is “the most pro-life” govenor in the US, let’s drop the PC. If the baby is Black or physically imperfect or developmentally damaged, the hope for ever finding it an adoptive home is almost non-existant. Will Jeb raise this child?

4. SocialWorkerQueen
    Posted April 30, 2005 at 1:10 am | Permalink

I’m a social worker for the state I live in and young pregnant girls is hardly a new phenomenon. When a teenage ward of the state has a baby, YES, the baby is immediately under the care and legal control of the state. Just as when a minor who lives with her parents has a baby. The young mother’s parents can put the baby up for adoption without any consent from the mother (she can’t consent or bind a contract, she’s a minor).
    In 1989 a 14 year old client (that’s what we call them in social work) of mine got pregnant and wanted an abortion. I assisted her though I was very conflicted, but she was 17 and very determined. In 1999 when she was 27 and now an attorney she sued me for assisting her to obtain the abortion when she was “clearly” too young to make such a decision. She claimed and testified that she would have never have “murdered” her baby if she had been more mature and claimed that the abortion ruined her life.
    My state provided an attorney only to get themselves (the state) dismissed as a defendant in the case and then once they were dismissed from the case they abandoned me. The jury HATED me for helping this young girl and glared at me through the trial with one of the jurors after the trial telling a newspaper, “What kind of a pig-monster helps a baby murder their baby?”.
    She had sued me for $2.1 million dollars and the jury gave her $25 million. I tried to file a bankruptcy to protect my assets and while it protected my future earnings she did get my IRA account, one of my cars and the bankruptcy court sold my house and gave her the equity.
    This is a very touchy subject and overwhelmingly most people think the absence of parental consent for a minor’s abortion is wrong. When I was a vice-principal at a high school in this same state we couldn’t give a student an aspirin without signed consent from their parents. But those of us who support choice argue that they can abort a baby? Its a very touch area and I am very conflicted by it.

5. Posted April 30, 2005 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Kind of the point. She obviously wasn’t old enough to make the decision to have sex, since she couldn’t be responsible enough to keep from getting knocked up. So now she should be allowed to make this decision, given her history of poor decision-making ability?

6. Laurel Halbany
    Posted May 1, 2005 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Um, SWQ, I’m puzzled by your story. Was this girl 14 or 17 when she had the abortion? What state was this?

7. Posted May 1, 2005 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Well, clearly you think she needs to be punished for not using contraception. Why not let her have her abortion and then lock her in the stocks for a day or so? The 9-month punishment, ending in painful labor, doesn’t fit the crime. I doubt you think that the man who got her pregnant should be sent to jail for 9 months for skipping the condom.

8. amanda414
    Posted February 23, 2009 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

im 17 years old and i am pregnant and have been told my so many people to have an abortion but i refuse to and this is not my first kid i had a kid at the age of twelve so i think she has every right to make a choice to keep the baby or have an abortion. its no easy to raise a baby as a teen but we should have the same rights that older women do. i hope you all understand that when we have sex and get pregnant its not easy for us because we get all the crap from everyone else but the truth is we are no different from you all we just have bigger challenges ahead of us then you may have