Yet Another Reason To Love Amsterdam

As an update to Wednesday’s post on Alabama’s ban of selling sex toys, we found that other countries are enjoying their rights to the fullest. While Amsterdam is pretty big on using vending machines for everything — cash, food, condoms, even toothbrushes — well, you can guess what’s coming next.
It looks like the southern Dutch city of Tilburg has begun to install sex toy vending machines at various businesses. There was actually some resistance by the city council’s building inspectorate, but the machine was approved after it was made child-proof. It can’t be purchased with money, just bank or credit cards.
So while Alabama residents are fighting just to be able to purchase one, the Dutch merely has to pop in some plastic to get their pleasure.

1. Posted February 25, 2005 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I finished off my high school in the Netherlands, as my whole extended family lives there, and I can speak from experience at how wonderful that country is. I am seriously considering going back once I have completed grad school.
    Personally, I’m not gonna ever get a toy out of a vending machine (prefer to browse), but for those that just seem to be caught without one, it might be handy ;)
    The funny thing about Tilburg is that it’s not like an Amsterdam (wasn’t so keen on Amsterdam honestly, prefered Utrecht). It’s just a boringly normal usual Dutch city. THIS is what a society should be like.
    Don’t get me wrong, the Netherlands aren’t perfect, but they know what the important shit is, and what isn’t. The US really could learn a LOT.

2. Posted February 25, 2005 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Ahhhhhhhh! How exciting! I actually purchased my first sex toy ever last night and it was an exciting moment :) I would love to visit the neterlands just to see all the fun vending machines. :)

3. Posted February 25, 2005 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Do they take fives’? LOL!

4. Blue Mako
    Posted February 25, 2005 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

And I thought Japan’s vending machines were messed up…
    no, wait, they still are. At least these aren’t selling used panties…

5. Posted April 14, 2006 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

can we talk about the double entendre of “pop in some plastic to get their pleasure” , and then there is the alliteration… i love you folks. have i said that lately?

6. Frenchwoman
    Posted September 1, 2009 at 12:34 am | Permalink

Maps rarely track emerging issues such as the flows of creativity, innovations, decision-making, participation, use of space and potential. Nor are maps made of industrial dynamics, showing how a place interconnects internally and with the wider world. But what can emerge from these are interdependencies, mutual reliances and often counter-intuitive conclusions. In Adelaide we undertook extensive remapping and discovered, for instance, the Playford PhD cluster. Remapping revealed an extensive decision-making spaghetti as one map was layered on to the next. The maps showing where creatives live confirmed intuition. Creatives move to areas of character and distinctiveness, but also to places in the process of transformation, where an element of edginess remains. Also there is a strong correlation between places on the heritage register and where they live, often in accommodation where they both live and work. The maps were also helpful in predicting areas of future potential or possible decline.