Feministing’s favorite hate-mail

…or closeted love letters. Depends on how you look at it.

Some hilarity to get you through the weekend:

Corky Loomis: If you all weren’t so young I’d try to have my way with you, but you’d never give me the time of day. Bitches. I suppose I’ll have to save it all for the spank bank…
Robert Trojan: Haven’t you heard? Feminism is dead.
Matt Dietrich: Hi Cupcake, Rush (Limbaugh) was right when he penned the First 35 Undeniable Truths of Life. Here’s a sample. You’re welcome. #24: Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society.
Awesome. I�m particularly fond of Matt’s nah-nah-nah-boo-boo style of political debate. Nothing says smart like resorting to “well-you’re ugly!” when faced with views you don’t like.
Speaking of the old feminists-are-ugly-and-can’t-get-a-man crap, I just came across this article (if you can really call it that) from Men’s News Daily. Apparently writer Bernard Chapin is less than pleased that unlike the stereotype, the Feministing gals are “young and fit.” Eww. I think I need a shower.
(But really, check out the whole article. It seems women have nothing to complain about because we have “television channels like Lifetime or Oxygen.”)

1. Posted January 28, 2005 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

They’re right. Didn’t you know that pretty women don’t need to vote?

2. Ryan
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

hehe. Amanda, that is the smartest fucking thing I think you have ever said. I hope you write a book on it.

3. Posted January 28, 2005 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Bernard Chapin surely provides a “target rich” environment, but this was my favorite:
    “They can tolerate no dissent and would have no prospects for vocational success were it not for the socialist havens of the social services, the universities or the public schools.
    “On this website, one can witness the result of people with politicized educations being contaminated by the talk show virtue of ‘every opinion is valid.’ Every opinion is not valid.”
    So which is it, Mr. Chapin? Can Feministing “tolerate no dissent” or does it think “every opinion is valid”?
    Just askin’.

4. Posted January 28, 2005 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Hate to disappoint you, Ryan, but I’m a fairly attractive young woman myself and not only do I vote, but I read and write as well. And I’m a feminist. Oh be still my beating heart.

5. Posted January 28, 2005 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Heehee! Does he often talk about “the Dark Lord Saurons of gender study programs”?

6. Ari
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

If only what he said were true…
    1) Instead of trying to figure out if I was a “faggot or a girl,” boys would ask me where I bought my blazer.
    2) There would be too damn many queer women of color with tenure in every discipline in all the major universities.
    3) Real live fat women (not Courtney Cox) would be portrayed in TV and movies and everywhere else as something other than clowns or dykes.
    4) Bush wouldn’t be my president.
    P.S. I think he tried to hit on you “nymphs.” It’s funny–none of you can be gay, since none of you sport mullets or crewcuts.

7. Posted January 28, 2005 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

“Their logo is a lithe and sleek silhouette of a woman with evolutionarily correct dimensions that will be sure to result in a loss of self-esteem among the scale-challenged, genderist rank and file.”
    Nice. I don’t think he got the point on that one.
    As an aside, I read one of Rush’s books and his annoying personality even comes through in print. He’s the reason it took one of my very conservative friends months to even see me as human.

8. Voxper
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

I prefer my comments much more.

9. Posted January 29, 2005 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I saw the usual whining that women’s issues like breast cancer get attention. What he left unsaid – something men’s rights activists always whine about – is how they believe men get so shafted by the government and the media while women’s issues get a front row seat, even though men much more so than women run the networks and the government. The whining from these guys sure gets tiresome, doesn’t it?

10. mythago
    Posted January 30, 2005 at 1:46 am | Permalink

All of their insults come down to “I wouldn’t want to have sex with you!” (fat, ugly) or “You wouldn’t want to have sex with me!” (lesbian). If it’s not that, they’re hitting on you–doesn’t matter if you’re talking about feminism or whatever, it’s not like they want to *listen* to you.

11. Voxper
    Posted January 30, 2005 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

“I saw the usual whining that women’s issues like breast cancer get attention… The whining from these guys sure gets tiresome, doesn’t it?”
    Hah, Trish– congratulations on your double-standard. If men organize to address issues they consider important, it’s “whining”. However, when women do the same thing, it’s “activism”.
    Equality through hypocrisy!

12. Linnaeus
    Posted January 30, 2005 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I realize that this totally misses the point, but it’s been my experience that I’ve been attracted to a number of activist, feminist women, and their attitudes toward sex were, well, actually quite healthy. :)

13. Posted January 31, 2005 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

It’s true that, thanks to the hard work of a lot of feminists in the ’70s and ’80s, breast cancer gets a lot of attention. It’s also true that there’s a lot less media attention and research funding devoted to other conditions that primarily afflict women and that many conditions that affect both men and women have been grievously understudied in women.
    And you know, this isn’t a zero-sum game. In the U.S., at least, there are lots of things we could do to improve the health of both women and men.

14. Posted January 31, 2005 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Oops! That somehow ended up in the wrong place. Sorry!

15. Xasthur
    Posted January 31, 2005 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Sally;
    No, I don’t like the idea of a zero sum game, either. But you have to remember only in the last several years men’s health has gotten more attention than before—men still have the idea that they need to “tough it out” unless we are in dire need of medical assistance.
    Before anyone thinks that I’m somehow unsympathetic to women’s afflictions like breast and ovarian cancer, they should have their heads examined—my own grandmother went through surgery for the former and survived until she was in her late 80s, and my mom has went through major surgery once for a precancerous condition (this trait seems to be more germane to the females in my family more than men, perhaps a genetic proclivity?). So don’t think I don’t care about it; it has effected my personal sphere.
    But I still maintain with justification that men’s issues concerning health matters are not as paramount, although this has changed, finally. The resources are there, but not as available or media-driven.

16. Posted January 31, 2005 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

“men still have the idea that they need to “tough it out” unless we are in dire need of medical assistance.”
    That’s true, and I agree that it’s a problem. And it’s a good argument for feminism. Feminists want to break down the current gender system, and that includes the parts that say that men must always be strong and must never admit to being vulnerable. Ultimately, that isn’t good for either men or women.