Favorite quote this week

From Ellen Goodman:

On Monday, abortion opponents held the 32d “March for Life.” We barely notice the way the word “life” was hijacked and locked in the right-wing dictionary. “Life” now means fetal life; life begins with conception and ends with birth.

1. Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

for sure that’s true. at the tv mag where i work (which shall go unnamed), we’ve been working on a story about a tv show featuring new technology that can show 3D pix of fetuses in the womb. everywhere i wrote “unborn child” in the piece, my editor thusly changed it to “preborn child.” wtf?

2. stew
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I want to say yes of course I am pro life , who isn’t ? What are the numbers before and after for abortions under Bush anyway. I know they have gone up. We should refer to the current pro lifers as abortion lovers, since they seem to enjoy causing them.

3. eva
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

“I want to say yes of course I am pro life , who isn’t ? ”
    I wan’t to say, yes of course I am pro abortion, who isn’t? Oh, yes, that is right, the ANTI-ABORTIONISTS!

4. stew
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Wrong, the anti aborionist cause them, look at the numbers. They are killers !!!

5. Jessica
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I have never been more confused by a thread in my life.

6. stew
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

My fault.. Very angry at BushCo for taking apart womens right to reproductive health , angry at the psuedo religious justification. Looking for a way to turn the language around.

7. Jessica
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

gracias.

8. Voxper
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

True, it’s a real conundrum. I find it darkly funny that those who call themselves “pro-life” are also pro-nuclear testing, pro-Iraq invading, (actually, pro-WHEREVER invading), pro-death pentalty, pro-abortion doctor shooting, pro-… well, I shan’t make a long list.

9. jackie
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

“I find it darkly funny that those who call themselves ‘pro-life’ are also pro-nuclear testing, pro-Iraq invading, (actually, pro-WHEREVER invading), pro-death pentalty, pro-abortion doctor shooting, pro-… well, I shan’t make a long list.”
    Oh, you mean, like, the Catholic Church? Everone knows how rabid they are about war and the death penalty! And this guy?
    ” ‘My personal philosophy respects all life. It’s as simple as that,’ said Phil Eddy, 22, of Albany, N.Y., who wore a button proclaiming, ‘No Abortion, No War, No Death Penalty.’ Eddy, who is also a vegan and belongs to a national group known as Saving Arrows, which opposes killing, said he came to town to protest President Bush’s inauguration and decided to stay for the antiabortion march.” — From the Washington Post, January 23, 2005.
    Personally, what I find darkly funny is that people tend to take such simplistic, inspid views of their ideological opponents. Please, stop with the dishonest, overreaching reductionism. It’s almost as dumb as conservatives saying, “All liberals want to ruin western civilization.” And I’ve heard this a million times. I’m a little pissed, since my practically my whole family (and they are all intelligent, articulate, and open-minded in their own right, thank you) is in the anti-abortion camp. So stop it. It’s embarassing.

10. Posted January 28, 2005 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Jackie, I’m afraid that “consistent life” people are still the exception the proves the rule. You’re just a minority in the anti-abortion movement.

11. Posted January 28, 2005 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

And even the “consistent life” people are often, well, inconsistent. For instance, the Catholic church comes down far harder on pro-choice politicians than pro-death-penalty ones.

12. jackie
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Um, I’m pro-choice, just like the rest of you. I said “my whole family” meaning that I-have-familial-issues-I-need-to-deal-with, and that we have pretty awkward dinner-table conversations. My point was that not all pro-lifers or anti-choicers or however you prefer to call them are dumb, hypocritical religious fanatics but quite sensible, well-meaning people.
    ‘And even the ‘consistent life’ people are often, well, inconsistent. For instance, the Catholic church comes down far harder on pro-choice politicians than pro-death-penalty ones.”
    I see what you mean. The closest thing to an explanation I could find was from Priests for Life (oh, and if you’re looking to understand the theological/philosophical underpinnings of the Christian pro-life movement, I strongly recommend the Priests for Life site. I thought it was going to be shrill and dogmatic, but it has good stuff there): “Life is the source of all other rights.”
    I took his to mean, “One cannot truly be against the death penalty, for equality, for improving the lot of the poor, and for the right to get healthcare, unless one is pro-life to begin with.”
    This actually reminds me of one of the frustrations I have with the pro-life movement. In a perfect world, we’d all be “pro-life” as such. Sure, the Catholic church can write beautifully about the dignity of human life. But being reminded of the fact that abortions shot up during Bush’s first term only helped convinced me even futher that the pro-choice position is the truly humane, “pro-life” position, taking into consideration the flaws and complexities of human nature, as well as giving women the utmost freedom to make this decision for themselves. The pro-life argument sounds appealing *in principle* but I have yet to be convinced that it works *pragmatically.*

13. jackie
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Ugh. Sorry for being ranty and prolix…

14. Voxper
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Well done jackie, I forgot about the Catholics. Point for youm then. Go treat yourself to a cookie.

15. Posted January 29, 2005 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Jackie, I think that was well-put, but it does well to remember that the Catholic Church’s stance against abortion is not only consistent with its “pro-life” stance, but also with its stance that women need to be put in their place. Though of course, they express that by saying that women are uniquely gifted to look after men and children and all that. It is consistent with the Bible, so there you go.
    Nonetheless, this government cannot be making its laws according to people’s religious beliefs on what proper gender roles are. Because abortion and birth control are legal doesn’t mean that Catholics need to avail themselves of those resources, though it does well to remember that Catholics do have abortions at the same rate as everyone else.

16. mythago
    Posted January 30, 2005 at 1:50 am | Permalink

Yep. They’re still in the wrong. I actually have quite a bit more respect for the “seamless garment” theory than the pro-death-penalty, exceptions-for-rape anti-choicers.

17. stew
    Posted January 30, 2005 at 11:53 am | Permalink

After stumbling at the beginning of this string, I want to try again.
    While looking for the stats on the rise in abortions since Bush took office, one stat jumped out.
    Something like 60% of abortions are had by Catholics or Christians, (who want to outlaw it?.) They expect the federal government to do what they cannot do as parents nor as spiritual leaders.
    A judge in Utah (I believe)recently denied a woman a divorce because she was pregnant. The husband was in jail for abusing her.
    I wonder if those of us who believe in good health practices should be so worried about scaring the pro-lifers . They have already scared the hell out of me.
    The church is trying to gain power, remember this about that reasonable body , the Catholic church.
    In 1995 they graciously aquiesced and admitted the world was round. We see the battle Church versus Intelect is now to be fought again.