The Thong-O-Mat

Too funny. A German woman has created a thong dispenser in bar bathrooms for all the ladies who get caught out there wearing granny panties right before a potential hook-up.
For around $8, you can get a thong and a “toothpaste tablet” (can’t have the stinky breath…) to make your night complete. Innovative or fucking ridiculous?
Via Nerve.

1. Ryan
    Posted January 27, 2005 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

You can’t deny the idea is “innovative” whether or not you think it’s ridiculous. This lady is going to make bank because we all know bars can’t resist a new dispenser of anything.
    However, if I was on the other end of this and waiting for the “potential hook-up” while she was in the bathroom, I think I’d prefer she abstain from the purchase. The bottom line: I think I’d prefer your granny panties to some thong that has been boxed up in a bathroom for god knows how long. I’m sure these thongs are packaged or something, while in the dispenser, and I’m also sure that I’d never know the difference if a woman happened to go in for a quick change, but all I’m saying is that if I had a choice I’d rather avoid the “dispensed thong.”

2. Jen
    Posted January 27, 2005 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

My questions is who has that much change to put in a vending machine?
    And also, who would let a stupid thing like granny panties keep them from getting it on in the first place? Especially if it’s a random hookup.

3. Jessica
    Posted January 27, 2005 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I’m with you, Jen. I think that if I’m willing to spend that much on vending machine underwear, as well as that insecure, I have bigger problems than granny panties!

4. Posted January 27, 2005 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

I’m still divided on whether that’s a better idea than my old stand-by when I was younger of just ditching the ugly panties in the trash and letting the gals go free.

5. Linnaeus
    Posted January 27, 2005 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Maybe there’s something wrong with me, but I don’t find thongs particularly attractive. If she feels sexier with them on, fine, but I’m just not into them.

6. V's Herbie
    Posted January 27, 2005 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Too funny… I wonder if she’ll make a model that takes credit cards, that would really boost sales.
    On a factual note… The woman is German, not Dutch. Unless they moved Stuttgart while I wasn’t looking.

7. patrick
    Posted January 27, 2005 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

maybe they could have a change machine that spits out the dollar coins like they do at the post office

8. Mike
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:58 am | Permalink

In Europe, coins are worth real money. Like Canada, but more so….
    I don’t think the idea will catch on; why not just go commando?

9. Posted January 28, 2005 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I think Amanda and Mark just agreed …
    That is a brilliant idea, business-wise. Half the morning/evening shows here were talking about it the other day. The bizarreness of her product is getting her an amazing amount of publicity.

10. Posted January 28, 2005 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Oh, my bad, that was “Mike.” So much for that idea.
    But if they made an American version, it would really *have* to take credit cards or big bills; $8 in quarters is insanely bulky and kinda heavy.

11. Jessica
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 10:23 am | Permalink

apologies–i thought for some reason she was a dutch chick living in germany. read wrong.

12. Timeless
    Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

It says that it costs 6 euro in the article. At best, that’s 3 coins of 2 euro. At worst, drob by the bar first and ask for some change.

13. Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

perhaps irrelevant point: why not take the grannies off, period? underwear is like, so, passe.

14. Posted January 28, 2005 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

oops. i see that amanda had the same bright idea as yrs truly.

15. Posted January 29, 2005 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I have to agree that it’s a brilliant idea businesswise. Tipsy women will fill that dispenser with quarters or dollar coins. And then walk out into the bar with the thongs on their heads if they don’t like them.

16. Posted February 2, 2005 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one that thinks granny panties (or tap pants or boycuts) are way hotter than thongs?

17. Sonya Klarson
    Posted August 26, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

The skyscraper designed by the HOK studio is Located between two of the great avenues that cross Manhattan from north to south, in a commercial zone where the number of residences has increased considerably in recent years. The client is the owner of all the offices in the building, so the needs and requirements were similar and provided coherence to the finished project.
    Despite the size of the project, the 25-story tower is perceived as a stylized construction. It consists of two volumes of different sizes: a 24,003-square-foot base and a 12,001-square-foot-tower. The structural and communications core was placed off-center to optimize the traffic patterns and to create a floor free of columns, resulting in light-filled work spaces that were distributed with total freedom.
    The facade of the first two floors combines stone and glass, while the rest of the building has a curtain wall with horizon­tal divisions at the base and with an emphasis in the vertical lines of the tower.